A notorious TikTok prankster, known as Mizzy, has been arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, a court has heard.
Bacari-Bronze O’Garro, 18, appeared at Stratford Magistrates’ Court in east London on Thursday after he was accused of posting videos on social media without the consent of the people featured in them.
He was due to stand trial on four counts of breaching a criminal behaviour order but his defence lawyer Paul Lennon applied to adjourn the hearing after telling the court that O’Garro had been arrested on October 16 on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.
O’Garro’s main witness in the case, who was due to give evidence on Thursday, was also arrested and both were released on bail under the condition that they do not contact each other “directly or indirectly”, Mr Lennon explained.
Without his evidence, Mr Lennon said, O’Garro would not be able to have a “fair trial”.
But judge Matthew Bone rejected the defence’s submission and insisted O’Garro would stand trial on Thursday.
Further ‘criminal activities’
Mr Lennon told the court: “It was hoped that the sole witness in his (O’Garro) favour would be able to attend court to provide evidence in support of the defence.
“That is no longer possible.
“Last week Mr O’Garro and his first and only witness were arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.
“Both were released on bail with the condition not to contact each other directly or indirectly.
“Had he (the witness) not been arrested on a very serious allegation he would have been here to give evidence on behalf of Mr O’Garro.
“It was hoped as of yesterday that the matter would not be proceeded with.
“Instead, he (O’Garro) was bailed until January 2024.”
Judge Matthew Bone decided to press ahead with the trial, telling the court: “The witness’s unavailability was known on or before October 16.
“I am not prepared to adjourn this case. The trial will proceed today.”
O’Garro’s case was previously adjourned at the same court as he was accused of engaging in further “criminal activities”, according to a joint submission by prosecution and defence lawyers at a hearing in September.
The trial will proceed later on Thursday.