A go-to fireside dessert and an obvious one for Bonfire Night. If your evening doesn’t involve a great big bonfire, these can easily be cooked under a grill (or in a very hot oven).
What is unusual here is that in a bid to make s’mores a little more sophisticated, I have used a sliver of membrillo and some dark-chocolate buttons alongside marshmallow, to sandwich shut with ginger-nut biscuits, cooked until suitably oozy. Whether your guests are young or old, these will go down a treat!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 16 ginger-nut biscuits
- 8 large marshmallows
- 80g membrillo/quince paste
- 30g dark-chocolate chips or buttons
- Preheat the grill to hot.
- Top each of 8 ginger-nut biscuits with a marshmallow, a small amount of membrillo and a couple of chocolate buttons or a few chips, then sandwich shut with another ginger-nut.
- Wrap the filled biscuits loosely in tinfoil, individually, and set them on a tray. Heat through under the grill for about 5 minutes, until the marshmallows have softened.
- Gently remove from the foil and serve immediately – careful, they will be very hot.
- These are delicious served with a steaming mug of hot chocolate, topped with whippy cream (the stuff of nightmares for many, but children seem to adore it!), crushed biscuits and more chocolate chips.